Thursday, April 30, 2009

Spaces, Two Letters of the Alphabet and a Period


And I thought it was just me who has issues with names.

For those who know me from school, my first name has always been twined with a "Ma." (short for Maria). After 21 years of being identified as the youngest V with the Ma., and writing the longest whole name on every school paper, I found out that my birth name was just as plain as my face, without any accents, or second names and what-have-yous in it.

Eventually, I got over it. Haha. my only mistake was, I was stubborn to still put Ma. on some of my employment information. But no worries, in about a month and a half, I'm officially changing last names, and along with that, correction on my first name. Sigh!

The chaos with names doesn't stop with me. Apparently, my husband-to-be also has a teeny bit of discrepancy on his middle name. His was De La Cruz, with all the spaces evident on his birth certificate. And for crying out loud, i cannot believe a single space (or the absence of it, for this matter) can cause so much inconvenience! His driver's license and other valid IDs shows his middle name as DELA CRUZ. The DE and the LA clearly attached with each other. He even took time to argue with me, comparing his middle name with a known school here in the country. To top it all off, his mother, my MIL2B (mother-in-law-to-be) also doesnt have spaces on her maiden name on her voter's ID. Wow. Talk about overlooked detail. And for that, they got everyone all confused. Me, the registrar's office employees and even my parents.
Geez. I thought submitting the darn documents for the marriage license application will be as easy as paying for my dark mocha frappuccino. I clearly thought wrong.

Eventually, we were able to secure an affidavit of discrepancy for Nico and shelled out extra funds for that. Whew! I was almost on the verge of quitting. Good thing, my future husband is as patient as ever and super positive all throughout the process.

Right after we walked out of the registrar's office, we both heaved a sigh of relief. 14 days. 2 Weeks and we're getting our license. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment